متحف الفنون الجميلة
|Address||5 Muhammad Thaqeb street, Zamalek|
|Opening Hours||9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Closed on Friday|
|Telephone||+20 2 27357570|
|Date of construction||1891|
|Date of Inauguration||2016|
|Affiliation||Helwan University, Faculty of Fine Arts|
The Fine Arts Museum is housed in one of the villa, located in the complex of the Fine Arts Faculty (Helwan University) in Zamalek. The villa was originally built by Ahmad Abud Pasha (1891 – 1946) to his daughter Muna. In 1935, the school of Fine Arts relocated to the adjacent buildings. Later, and after the revolution of 1952, the Abud villa was annexed to the campus of the Fine Arts, after the State nationalized the pasha’s business and confiscated his properties in Egypt.
In the 1980’s, Dr. Salah Abdel Karim, the Dean of the faculty of Fine Arts, started collecting different art works from the professors of the faculty’s departments of sculpture, painting, drawing and graphics. In 2006, the faculty decided to refurbish the villa and organise it to house a proper museum with more than 300 art works, of the Egyptian pioneers of the Modern Arts movements to present time. It displays the work of artists such as Yusuf Kamil (1891-1971), Hussein Bicar (1913-2002), Hamid Nada (1924 – 1990) and Abdel Hadi al-Gazzar (1925 – 1966).
The museum was inaugurated in May 2016, to present the long artistic history of the faculty, and the many transformations it has witnessed on all social, cultural and political levels and display the outstanding artistic production of its students and professors.